Thursday, January 29, 2009

Um... You're Coughing On My Kid...

Happy New Year Everyone {Only 29 days late}

So much has happened this year already! We've moved {again} to a bigger place, got a new president and Ian's got his first flu of the year: compliments of the coughing lady in church last Sunday.

I get that we all go to church, among other things, for the spiritual enrichment that can come from a sacrament meeting but, common sense tells me I'm excused from attending my meetings anytime I'm sick with a nasty, highly contagious flu in the dead of winter.

Oh the humanity!

This sister in church was visibly sick: coughing up a storm, sneezing and blowing into her sleeve. Right next to us. Annoying. Even more annoying was realizing she was still there for the third hour, spreading germs in relief society - all I could hear was her coughing.

There was a little sign on our old Lehi ward Nursery's door. It read:

Mary had a little lamb, she also had the flu.
And when she left our Nursery, the others had it, too.
So anytime your kid is sick, please keep her home with you.
So the other children in our Nursery can be happy and healthier, too.

Pathetic that we actually had remind parents NOT to bring their sick children into Nursery. It should be a no-brainer
.

Poor Mr. E has been completely miserable since waking up with a fever a few days ago. He's been coughing, sneezing and had to miss preschool this week.

Sorry if I sound a little crass, and while I can't be 100% sure he actually got it from "sleevy", I'll never understand what possesses someone to come to church, or any other public place, while being that sick. Especially church where there are lots of babies, little children, elderly and other people with weak immune systems who can be seriously affected by it.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

AMEN. Before I had Emma, I used to think I probably wouldn't let my child even go to nursery, because I had seen the plethora of nasty noses, coughs, sneezes, toys in mouth, etc. (Of course now I realize there's no way I'd keep her with me all three hours if I have the chance to be on my own for two, so I guess it's a risk I'm willing to take, assuming other parents exercise a little bit of good sense.) I felt/feel irritated that parents would send their sick kids to a small room full of other kids. I appreciate the signs on nursery doors that remind parents not to bring in sick kids. It's like saying, "We know you might be really wanting a break from your ornery, whiny, SICK child, but please don't leave him/her here. WE'RE WATCHING YOU." :)

Hope Ian gets feeling better soon!

Daniele said...

I agree. People lack common sense sometimes.

Juliana said...

Como os de Souza disseram: Amem!!!