Friday, August 22, 2008

Twilight


I know, I know, I'm way late for the twilight series train. I'm probably one of last people I know to just have read the first book. Still, I finished the book last night and I can't wait to start the sequel - New Moon.

Warning: Spoiler Ahead ... if you haven't read the first book yet and don't want to ruin the suspense, please skip to the third paragraph below.

It's about a human girl and vampire who fall in love with each other - the story takes place in a tiny town in the state of Washington. Forks, an actual town, is only 4 hours away from where I live.

No surprise there. If a vampire were to live anywhere, It'd definitely live here in Washington! It's perfect with the its lack of sunshine and constant rain.

I remember our first days here in Washington. It was last September, and we were living in temporary housing. I had an eerily feeling as I stepped outside one night alone to get some milk. The parking lot was deserted. Thick fog was everywhere, I could only see about 1-2 feet in front of me.

The clouds covered the sky and moon completely, and the towering pine trees above made for a even darker night. Then I heard crows cawing - a typical winter night, I've come to find out - it made me jump just a little. I got in my car as quickly as I could, kind of chuckling that I was actually a little afraid. I thought - where am I? this looks like a scene from a scary movie. I was waiting for something to jump out of the woods and attack me :).


Of course, I got used to it after a while, but Stephenie Meyer is a genius for picking Washington for her book.

If you know anything about me, you know that I love movies (good ones, that is). I realize that I like any book that can easily be converted to a movie I like and the opposite is also true - case in point - the first Harry Potter movie was a bore (sorry Harry Potter fans, it's just an example, I'm sure I'm missing something). It was the only movie that I fell asleep while watching in the theater. Then, my brother, a huge Harry Potter fan, convinced me that the books were way better than the movie. I tried reading the book, trying to keep an open mind, but I was unable to finish the second chapter - boring, too far-fetched, anything could happen here.

Twilight read like a movie and it had just the right amount of reality and fantasy.


No comments: